Format and write to a DVD-RW

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Nov 13 05:25:57 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 10:47 +0100, Kristoffel wrote:

> David Timms wrote:
> > Kristoffel wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I can not write to a RW/DVD (device HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B). NOT
> >> to a DVD-R and NOT to a DVD-RW
> >> I have no problem when I write to a CD-R or CD-RW with the same device.
> >>
> >> I have tried it with tools as xcdroast and k3b. Both utilities
> >> recognize my dvd device.
> >> Why this is not working???
> > Since I hadn't made a DVD since installing fc6, I just tried with my
> > # cat /proc/ide/hdc/model
> > SONY DVD RW DRU-510A
> >
> > This erased, wrote and verified the DVD-RW {TDK DVD-RW For Data/Video
> > made in Taiwan} without problems. Which fedora are you using ?
> >
> > Is the drive new ? {could you test it in another machine / test a
> > liveCD distro to ensure the drive isn't faulty}
> >
> > What brands are the discs you are using ? {could you try a different
> > brand, have you used the particular media before ?}
> >
> > That's all I can think of at the moment.
> >
> > DaveT.
> >
> this is my model :
>     # cat /proc/ide/hda/model
>     HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B
>
> The drive is not new. 'lsmod' gives only the cdrom drive:
>     cdrom                  38881  1 ide_cd
>
> Brands: I have have tried with SONY for the DVD-R, and TDK for DVD-RW. I
> have tried with more then one DVD, but all of the same brand.
> It has never works before.
> I have only one device for read/write a DVD, and it is on a PC with only
> linux on it. Thus, today I can not test my DVD's on another device.
> Only read an existing DVD (movie or others) is working correctly, and as
> mentioned before: I can write to a CD-RW and CD-R with the same device.
>
> uname -a:
>     Linux XXXXXXX 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp #1 SMP Sat Oct 14 17:15:35 EDT
> 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> distro: Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

The description you give seems like it may be a CDRW/DVD drive and not a
DVDRW drive.  You also say it has never worked before so I really don't
know what else to say.

I cannot check on the model you provide, but operations indicate this.

My DVDRW drives just work in Linux and I have never had the symptoms you
describe except with a CDRW/DVD drive (in my laptop).

Since DVDRW drives (16X dual layer) sell for about $50 - $70 just about
anywhere why not replace it?