FC6: Things segfaulting all over

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Mon Nov 13 11:51:25 UTC 2006

At 11:26 13/11/2006, you wrote:

>The smartctl test also went well.
>
>As Dave mentioned, I will also give it a blast. Hope it will do well.
>Also I am thinking of re-seating RAM and CPU this evening.

If you take out the CPU then you will also need to apply fresh heat
sink compound. I found that a little white spirit (or whatever the
solvent for cleaning oil based paint out of brushes is called in your
locality) from the DIY shop on a kitchen wipe is very effective for
cleaning off the old compound.

>But I cannot afford to run memtest for several days as it was required
>in Mogen's case.

I decided that if a machine hangs during memtest especially when it's
already been running for several hours then it most probably isn't
the memory that's causing the problem. Does this seem reasonable?

>Thanks for the replies guys.
>
>Vijay

BTW Just another thought - Are you powering the machine with a UPS?