chicken and egg problem?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Nov 13 14:28:28 UTC 2006

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> bought a new machine (yeah) its a dual core pentium D.  So I figured I'd
> load the 64 bit version of Linux, great it works fine.  I attempt to start
> some work and others like the Adobe Acrobat won't even run.  I got the
> Flash player to install by modifying the install script to ignore the
> hardware type.
>
> Am I better off at this point just running the 32 bit version of Linux or
> am I missing something here in how I load applications?
>
> TIA, Jeff

The only real issues with 64-bit is that the common browser plugins
(Flash being the biggest), don't work with 64-bit.  You've got two
options, either run the 32-bit binary browser for when you need the
plugins, or there is an app called nspluginwrapper that will allow you
to wrap 32-bit plgins into a 64-bit browser.  Either option works pretty
well, but I'm getting partial to the plugin wrapper.

As for running the 32-bit version of linux, you'd lose a ton of
performance if you did, IMHO.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney