Issues w/ cups-lpd

Jack Byers byersj at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 22:04:57 UTC 2006

Jack Byers     byersj at hotmail.com
Philip Prindeville wrote:
Tim Waugh wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
>So what makes it raw?  I was looking at the man pages for
>"lpoptions", and "lpadmin", "printers.conf" and "cups.conf",
>and didn't see anything... went onto the http://localhost:631/
>web page and didn't see anything...
>
>>I used the cups interface at localhost:631 to add a new printer and 'raw'
>>was one of the options.  Unfortunately that hasn't got me anywhere with my
>>XP to FC4 printing problem, as the XP laptop is still sending the wrong
>>output :-(
>>Anne
----

something very close to the following should allow seamless printing
from winxp on your lan  to printer on your fedora linux system

I got all of this from carla schroder book linux cookbook ch 14
that ch 14 at one point was a freebie on the net...

[root at bootp byers]# cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
#see carla schroder linux cookbook p 246-249

LogLevel info
Port 631
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.2.*
</Location>
BrowseAddress 192.168.2.255

<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

ServerName 192.168.2.8
[root at bootp byers]#

then
# /sbin/service cups restart

you shouldnt   need to do anything re "raw"...
configure the printer  on the cups interface  localhost:631 on your linux
host

that cups restart will broadcast your printer to your lan
this is enough to serve all other linux clients on your lan, also any macs
on osx

from winxp box you need a couple extra steps
install TCP/IP Print services from  xxxx/Other Network File and Print
Services
then   "Add Printer wizard"
add the printer URI like this example:

http://192.168.2.8:631/printers/hp22ufc
that  /printers/  is necessary, a convention used by cups

disclaimer: I know almost zilch about Windows
I did manage using these instructions
to get an old w98 box printing to my linux box
last march just in time to print out forms from my w98 TaxCut.
w98, for me at least, was a much tougher nut to crack;
I needed a lot of extra w98 steps.... which idont have available right now.
the xp instructions above are supposed to be all you need for xp.

hth
Jack