Problems with wireless

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 14 01:53:56 UTC 2006

I had wireless working well with ndiswrapper on FC4 on my laptop. I
installed FC6 on other partitions, made an unsuccessful attempt to
configure wireless with BCM43xx. When I rebooted into FC4, wireless had
stopped working. I've tried unloading and reloading the module, deleting
and reinstalling the driver. Nothing has seemed to work. One thing I
find curious and I have illustrated below, I cannot change parameters
with iwconfig. Can someone offer insight into what I might have done to
screw up my wireless and what I can do to fix it? (The wireless network
is working because my wife's PowerBook is working fine.)

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson

# iwconfig eth1

Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 20
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
Some things may be broken...

eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
00:00:00:00:00:00
           Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
           RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

# iwconfig eth1 essid robinson
# iwconfig eth1

Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 20
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
Some things may be broken...

eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point:
00:00:00:00:00:00
           Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
           RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

# iwlist eth1 scan

Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 20
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 19.
Some things may be broken...

eth1      No scan results