Issues w/ cups-lpd

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 11:51:57 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 11:03, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 10:32 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 10:25, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > > As I said originally, make a new raw queue using system-config-printer.
> > > It has to be a new queue, it has to be raw, and it has to be made using
> > > system-config-printer.
> >
> > Oh - and the server is FC4.  Does that make any difference?
>
> No, no difference as far as system-config-printer and raw queues goes.

Tim, I can't see how to do it in s-c-p.  The only queue types I am offered are

Locally-connected
Networked CUPS (IPP)
Networked UNIX (LPD)
Networked Windows (SMB)
Networked Novell (NCP)
Networked JetDirect

If I select Locally-connected it goes on to select the HP printer driver, then
says it is about to create the queue.  I don't see any mention of raw in any
of the screens.

> Fedora Core 6, you'll be glad to hear, doesn't need you to do any of
> this.

Updating from FC4 is not advised, and I wouldn't argue.  For the moment I just
can't face the amount of work to get everything working on that box again.
I've been working on this box for 2 weeks, and am only now feeling that most
of the essentials are ironed out.  I know there are some things that I
haven't tested yet, too.

I'll get to upgrading the server eventually, but not yet.

Anne