Format and write to a DVD-RW

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Nov 14 14:03:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 09:26:51 +0000,
  Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 13 November 2006 05:25, Jeff Vian wrote:
> >
> > Since DVDRW drives (16X dual layer) sell for about $50 - $70 just about
> > anywhere why not replace it?
> >
> I plan to replace my writer soon.  Is dual-layer writing supported yet?  Or do
> we continue for the moment with single-layer?

When you replace your drive, you may want to consider whether or not it
can be reflashed under linux and whether there is alternate firmware
that lets you change regions freely and/or disable macrovision. Updates
for burners are common to provide the burner with information about new
media (blanks) that were developed since the drive was first produced.