Feeling real grumpy !

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Tue Nov 14 19:49:44 UTC 2006

Hi Mathew;

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 14:38 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:19:59PM -0500, William Case wrote:
> > Yes.  This post was more a grumpy rant than a request for specific help.
> > The details are in earlier unanswered posts.  The point is:  I have ATI
> > Rage 128 Expert 200 video card.  It is only 5-6 years old.  There should
>
> In computer years, 5-6 years is almost always past end-of-life.
>
> > be an updated driver that works with it (later than r128 with dri-- like
> > flgrx).  If people are getting some window management with PIII and
> > however old their video cards maybe, then hopefully there is a driver
> > that works with my ATI Expert 200 with 128 MG of video ram.  It is Xorg
> > that is installing the r128, I think, not me.
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying here. r128 does appear to be the correct
> driver.

>From the Fedora Project Wiki site I got the following answer

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject

"Known to not work
ATI: Rage 128. Looks like driver locking issue. "

Got the above -- asked about it in an earlier post.  It is not clear
whether this is a r128 issue or a card issue.

If it is a driver locking problem, then there can be an expectation that
it is being worked on.  Buying a new video card is a $200 - $300
solution, or a $800 - $1,200 new computer solution which seems to fly in
the face of the Linux philosophy.  The driver problem may not be r128,
but maybe in 'dri' 2D versus 3D.  Everything I have worked fine (without
compiz of course) in FC5.

Matthew I am trying to avoid cuttting and pasting all the details from
my earlier posts.  If that would be helpful, I will include that text.

--
Regards Bill