network configuration files

don fisher dfisher at as.arizona.edu
Tue Nov 14 20:50:43 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have a laptop with multiple docking stations (eth1: ports). I have
been trying to make my network behave. I found that there are a set of
files in /etc/sysconfig/networking that are hard links to other parts of
the system. The problem is that if I delete and make a new
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, the files in networking are
not updated.

Is there a document that describes what is in these directories, why
they duplicate other files, and how they interface with NetworkManager
etc. My network interfaces are assigned devices that are different from
what is in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and my entries in network-scripts.

Thanks in advance. I will RTFM if I can locate one:-) /usr/share/doc is
a huge place to search.

don