java in browser

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 14 21:29:29 UTC 2006

I have a problem similar to others that been posted in this thread.
(Posted earlier, but still hasn't appeared on the list; sorry if this
is a double posting.)

I installed the Java environment, jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin,
according to the instructions at the Sun Java site, and made the link
  libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/jre1.5.0_09/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
in directory /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.8/plugins.

Entering about:plugins in firefox shows that the plugin
  Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_09-b03
is installed and enabled for a large number of mime types.  On the test page
  http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
I do *not* get the message with the jigsaw piece telling me that a
plugin is needed to display page content.

Nevertheless, the applet does *not* work.  No dancing man.

Note that I'm running an x86-64 system, but that I'm running the i386
version of firefox, and all its plugins.

The Java Console reports a large number of errors.  I have attached a
transcript of a part of the report, Java-Trouble.txt .  There doesn't
seem to be a way to save this report, so this is a hand transcript,
which may contain errors.

Firefox also emits 12 error files with names like hs_err_pid12023.log.
I have also attached this file.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks - jon