Format and write to a DVD-RW

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Nov 14 22:25:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 14:37:38 +0000,
  David Fletcher <fc at fletchersweb.net> wrote:
> At 14:03 14/11/2006, you wrote:
>

> >When you replace your drive, you may want to consider whether or not it
> >can be reflashed under linux and whether there is alternate firmware
> >that lets you change regions freely and/or disable macrovision. Updates
> >for burners are common to provide the burner with information about new
> >media (blanks) that were developed since the drive was first produced.
>
> Do you have any particular manufactureres/models in mind?

I found there were two manufacturers that had models that could be flashed
under linux. One was NEC (before they were bought merged or whatever with
Sony) and I think the other was Plextor.
I think one was made available by the cdrecord guy, and the other might have
been from the manufacturer. Neither of the flashing tools was open source.
I have been able to reflash my NEC 1300A under linux. That particular drive
has issues burning CDs under FC, but is usable. But its a pretty old model
now. I was also able to get 3rd party firmware for the NEC 1300A that
allows the drive to change regions. Macrovision isn't an issue since it doesn't
have direct video outputs.