filtering IMAP by message body?

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 02:43:41 UTC 2006

On 11/14/06, Justin Willmert <justin at jdjlab.com> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > Hopefully one of the gurus here can help with this one.  I reguarly
> > receive over 4000 (yes, 4000) pieces of non-spam email each day, via
> > an IMAP server.  I desperately need a means of filtering/sorting my
> > email based on the contents of the message body (rather than just the
> > header).  As far as I can tell, this isn't possible with thunderbird
> > when using IMAP (only POP).  Anyone know of any reliable means of
> > doing this with a different full-featured email client?
> >
> You could try going with procmail too. If your criteria is simple enough
> for a Thunderbird email filter to be able to do, then procmail should
> definitely have enough power to sort your mail correctly. An added bonus
> is that it's all sorted before you even start Thunderbird: you won't
> have to wait while TB downloads all of the messages, processes them,
> moves the messages, and then finally lets you get around to reading your
> mail. There are plenty of tutorials on how to make a procmail filter,
> and you don't even have to be an administrator to set up procmail (but
> you do need terminal or remote access). You didn't say whether the
> server is your own or if its on your ISP's or something. If it is your
> ISP's, then you can disregard my suggestion.

I had considered using procmail, but I'm going to end up needing a
large number of rules, and I'd really rather not worry about
effectively hosting my own mail server.  The server in question of run
by my employer, and unfortunately its an Exchange server.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org