Dual-nic bonding question/help

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Nov 15 14:48:35 UTC 2006

Lars Sorensen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of reconfiguring a FC5 Proliant servers dual nic
>
> But before I actually change anything ( server is in production ) I
> need some help with my setup as this is the first time I've ventured
> into this :-)
>
> I hope some of you gurus can help me with this and point out if this
> is the correct way, or if there's an easier/better way to do it, and
> if I'm missing anything in the setup.
>
> Any input/help would be greatly appreciated
>
> All the best
>
> Lars Sorensen
>
> Below is the setup I've seen on another running server:
>

> cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias bond0 bonding
> options bond0 mode=1 miimon=100
> alias eth0 tg3
> alias eth1 tg3
> alias scsi_hostadapter cciss
>

> [root at localhost ~]# cat /root/ifcfg-eth0
> # Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> MASTER=bond0
> SLAVE=yes
> USERCTL=no
> TYPE=Ethernet
>
> [root at localhost ~]# cat /root/ifcfg-eth1
> # Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth1
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> MASTER=bond0
> SLAVE=yes
> USERCTL=no
> TYPE=Ethernet
>
> [root at localhost ~]# cat /root/ifcfg-bond0
> DEVICE=bond0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=no
> IPADDR=0.0.0.0
>
> [root at localhost ~]# cat /root/ifcfg-bond0.10
> DEVICE=bond0.10
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=no
> REORDER_HDR=no
> IPADDR=212.xx.xx.248
> NETMASK=255.255.255.224
> GATEWAY=212.xx.xx.225
>
> [root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/static-routes
> net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 212.xx.xx.228

That looks about how I do it on some of our servers, except for the
second bonded interface.  Why make a second bonded interface?  Which is
what I see you doing with bond0.10?  With our bonded interfaces we setup
everything in bond0 (and bond1, etc).  Only if I have need another
virtual interface do I setup one like bond0.10.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator