FC-6 disappointment on AMD Athlon64 3200+ machine

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Nov 16 12:35:32 UTC 2006

Kip Thomas wrote:

> sorry to butt in the conversation without going through all the facts.
> when i encountered hangs during install it's anaconda and rpm database
> corruption.  do you see corruptions in the install log?

No, the /root/install.log just listed the packages installed
up to the point where it failed.

I got FC-6 installed on this machine by doing an absolutely minimal install
in text mode without X, KDE, etc,
and then installing everything I needed by "yum groupinstall".

I'm afraid I don't think anaconda is a very reliable installation program.
I have about 50% expectation that Fedora will install without problem
on a given computer,
while I have 90% expectation that Knoppix will run on the same machine.

As an absolutely minimal improvement,
I would suggest that anaconda should allow one to try a second installation
of an rpm that fails, instead of just terminating the whole thing.
(Windows XP allows this - so if there is a failure to install a file,
taking out the CD and re-inserting it will often allow
the intstallation to continue from where it failed.)

I've had several apparent rpm failures during Fedora installations,
but have never had any during normal yum usage after installation.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366