Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 14:40:12 UTC 2006

On 16/11/06, Chong Yu Meng <chongym at cymulacrum.net> wrote:
> Actually, I find all discussions concerning the relative merits of each
> distro a bit misleading. I have not yet installed a Linux distribution
> that did not require a lot of tweaking, and I've tried a lot of them --
> Slackware, TurboLinux, SpectraLinux, Suse and Caldera (before it went
> over to the Dark Side). Not one worked the way I wanted it to, on first
> boot, after installation. I remember way back in 1996, when I tried
> Slackware for the first time, and it took me 3 months to get it setup
> just the way I wanted it. Of course, now it takes me a much shorter time
> to get Linux to a "productive" state, but there is still a ton of
> tweaking -- that hasn't changed. You only have to look at Stanton
> Finley's guide to installing Fedora to see that this is not restricted
> to my experience.

It occurred to me just after posting that what Ubuntu does
really well (especially for new people who don't know what
to expect and don't have anything they know they want to
set up) is a painless installation.  That's actually what that
table tells you:
1 CD
Most packages to get stuff going available on that CD.
Easy access to extra repos after install, rather than manually
 adding them at the command line.
Friendlier and more responsive (vs my FC5 experience) GUI
 for getting new packages.

Yes there's tweaking involved, especially patented multimedia
related tweaking.  No, it's not massively more accessible, it's
just that little bit more accessible that it comes into reach.
(and they have a cooler logo)

--
imalone