Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 15:46:37 UTC 2006

On 16/11/06, mjw <mjw at woogie.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:40:12 +0000, "Ian Malone" <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It occurred to me just after posting that what Ubuntu does
> > really well (especially for new people who don't know what
> > to expect and don't have anything they know they want to
> > set up) is a painless installation.
>
> Yes and no.  I have never had a Debian based installer properly reread the partition table after I edit it, so I have to boot twice to do an install.  I've tried this on several different machines with both Dapper Drake and Knoppmyth.
>
> Also, try installing LVM and RAID.  Unless they've changed this with Edgy Eft, you have to boot off a different CD and do a rather clunky text based install.
>
> So from my perspective, the Fedora installation experience is vastly superior.

Yep, we've come full circle to "Ubuntu is user friendly as
long as you do what they expect."  How many first time
users worry or know about LVM, RAID or even partition
tables?

I'm not saying they're perfect and, while Ubuntu
is simple as long as you stay within expected territory,
the difficulty increases much faster when straying off
the beaten path than with Fedora.  The things they do
well are things I feel Fedora could do without
compromising what it already does.

--
imalone