tuxtype2 doesn't launch

fedora-list at windtelsoft.com fedora-list at windtelsoft.com
Thu Nov 16 22:28:02 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 15:28, teicah wrote:
> > Ed Landaveri wrote:
> > > I have installed tuxtype2 for my daughters to learn typing but every
> > > time I launch it the screen goes black as though it will work but not,
> > > it returns to the desktop. If I try to launch it from the terminal It
> > > gives me a message:
> > > Load settings: Settings file doesn't exists! Settings not loaded!
> > > Load settings: Settings file doesn't exists! Settings not loaded!
> > >
> > > Please can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks a lot
> > >

> > > Linux user number 433512
> > > Free as in Freedom:
> > > http://counter.li.org
>
> You may have to install/enable glx.  I know tuxracer needs it.

My kids had already report me this problem with tuxtype2, it doesn't work in
their 3 different FC6 boxes.

enabling/disabling glx does not help
running with -w option (window mode) does not help

running in debug mode (-b) gives the following output before exit with a
segfault:

[ tuxtype2 -b ]
LoadSettings: Settings file does not exist! settings not loaded

tuxtype2, version 1.5.3 BEGIN
LibInit():
-About to init SDL Library
-SDL Library init'd successfully
-about to init SDL_ttf
LibInit():END
GraphicsInit - Initialize graphic system
-SDL Setting VidMode to 640x480x16
SDL_SetClipRect(screen, NULL):
SDL_ShowCursor(0):
SDL_WM_SetCaption("Tux Typing", PACKAGE);
-SDL VidMode successfully set to 640x480x16
GraphicsInit():END
LoadImage: loading standby.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading title1.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading main_bkg.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading menu/seld.png
LoadImage: loading menu/sel0.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading menu/sel1.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading menu/sel2.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading menu/sel3.png
LoadImage: loading menu/regd.png
LoadImage: loading menu/reg0.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading menu/reg1.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading menu/reg2.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading menu/reg3.png
LoadImage: loading tuxd.png
LoadImage: loading tux0.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading tux1.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading tux2.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading tux3.png
LOADIMAGE: Done
LoadImage: loading tux4.png
black_outline of "Fish Cascade"
Segmentation fault
[]

I'm still looking for give a solution to my little customers.

best regards

Teo Fonrouge