how do i get glx extension?

David Scriven davidwriter at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 07:53:23 UTC 2006

>I am trying to run a program on fc6 that uses OpenGL and
>Freeglut and am receiving the following error message:

 > freeglut (./cube): OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display ':1.0'

>My machine is rather old and has an ATI Rage-II (?) video
>card and xorg.conf says it is using the "ati" driver.
>However, if I point the display to a Windows-2k machine
>running the same hardware with Cygwin X, the program
>runs and displays the expected image.

Check the xorg.conf in the "Module" section
there should be a line:
Load  "glx"
if it's not there then insert it.

If it is there look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are any
error messages when it tries to load it

Installing glxutils and running glxinfo will also help you
determine what is going on.

DS