UTF-8?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 10:34:50 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 10:18, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > The theory sounds good, but as far as I know kde is configured to use
> > utf8 and kmail is also so configured, but I don't think that what I'm
> > seeing is what you intended - see attached.
>
> It actually works in practice.
>
> However, you need to have the relevant fonts installed you your system and
> those little squares indicate you don't.  I don't use kmail myself.  I use
> thunderbird, but I fired kmail up on my system and what I typed is what I
> see.
>
> There is, however, one problem with KDE (I've filed a bugzilla) is that it
> is missing some characters from "Simplified Chinese".
>
> So, you need to install support for other languages.

Could be that, then.  Fair enough.

It's odd, though, that I see many spam messages with Chinese(?) fonts, and
others with those squares in place of characters.  I don't have the need for
any of those fonts, though, so it's not important - it's just that this cat
still has plenty of curiosity :-)

Anne