How to change terminal resolution in GRUB

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 18:06:03 UTC 2006

James D. Parra wrote:
> Coming from LILO to GRUB, I don't know where to change the screen resolution
> in GRUB. Can someone point me in the right direction? I didn't find anything
> in grub.conf.

Append "vga=789" to the kernel parameters in grub. This will give you
800x600. The table below lists all modes. The values are in hex and have
to be converted to decimal and added to the kernel parameters.
eg. 800x600 is 0x315 which in decimal would equate to 789.

     | 640x480  800x600  1024x768 1280x1024
----+-------------------------------------
256 |  0x301    0x303    0x305    0x307
32k |  0x310    0x313    0x316    0x319