giving a normal user rights to use negative nice values

Rob Brown-Bayliss uncertain.genius at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 00:59:25 UTC 2006

On 11/16/06, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> > So thats my reasoning.... Maybe my idea is flawed ?
>
> Actually, I've just tried renicing compiz (and Xorg) to -19 as root for the
> user in question, and it doesn't actually work that well. Its much more
> useful to renice the cpu intensive processes to +19.

I had a similar problem with compiz and beryl.  I downloaded a tool
called schedtool that alows the root user to change the schetuler for
applicatios as well as their nice value. By doing this:

schedtool -R -p 1 -n -3 `pgrep Xorg`

I have changed xorg to use the realtime process sceduler and have it
runnnig at a nice value of -3

It has sorted out compiz and beryl for me.

if you are using gdm you can place the command in the
/etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default script, make it executable and gdm will run
the comand for you every time yo login...

I got schedtool from here.

 http://freequaos.host.sk/schedtool/schedtool-1.1.2.tar.bz2

--
Rob