Problem with kde screensaver on FC6

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 18 03:38:40 UTC 2006

On 2006-11-17 at various times, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:

> William W. Austin <waustin <at>  speakeasy.net> writes:
>>  One user (me, unfortunately) cannot configure the screen saver - any
>>  other user (privileged or regular user) can click on the "Configure
>>  screen saver" button and the window pops up with a scrolling list of
>>  screen savers.  When I do that, I get ths configuration window but
>>  the
>>  list is unpopulated.
>
> Make sure you have xscreensaver-base, xscreensaver-extras and
> xscreensaver-extras-gl installed.

(LATER)

> You could try:
> $ yum install kdeartwork-extras
> will get you extra (xscreensaver-based) kde screensavers (not directly
> your problem) from Fedora Extras.
>
> Find/remove the [ScreenSaver] section from ~/.kde/share/config/
> kdesktop, if
> you get desperate, you could even try renaming/deleting that file.

(and LATER)

> Not (necessarily) required, though that's all taken care of if one
> installs kdeartwork-extras from Extras.

I honestly appreciate the replies/suggestions.  Thanks.  Unfortuntately
(a) all of the packages you mention are already installed, and (b)
several other users (root, adm, 'real' user id's, etc.) DO NOT
experience the problem - the screensavers show up just fine in the
config tool.  That's why I think it's some stoopid hooman trick which I
have inadvertantly added to my environment.

I had also tried variously:

a) removing the [ScreenSaver] section from my
    ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc file altogether;
b) just removing the defines (X=* lines) in that section but leaving
    the "[ScreenSaver]" line by itself; and
c) removing the file completely.

(Naturally I exited my X session and did the changes in console (text)
mode and blew away all of the tmp files in /tmp and /var/tmp and got
rid of ALL sockets I had lying around after exiting. Nothing changed
the behavior. When that didn't work, I tried changing/deleting the file
while X was running - it didn't help. :-(

Considering that I also have one other problem (kde keeps diddling my
menu system every time I log in, unfortunately in ways that screw up
other things), I suspect that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and
blow away EVERTHING in my home dir and start over, putting thins back
one at a time until I find what the problem is.  Sigh.

- Thanks

william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."