x0vncserver HowTo

Jamie Bohr jamiebohr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 04:04:42 UTC 2006

This is for engineers at work.  They want to be able to connect to their
consoles remotely.  We are using RHEL 3 WS, the tool is only supported on
this platform.  The idea is the same as it would be in Fedora though.  Start
an X application when the users logs in and kill it when they log out.  I
don't mind being pointed to a how to or even KDE/Gnome documentation.  I was
able to get KDE to start the process, it just won't die when the user logs
out.

On 11/17/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 19:24, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> > No Xvnc is too hard to manage for 100+ users.  We would have to set up
> > the password file for each user that a system is assigned to.  Then if
> > another user logs into that system they will not be able to get to it
> > remotely.  I would like Vnc to act more like terminal services for M$
> > Windows.  For example, if no one is logged in then allow a remote
> > connection using the users account password (NIS, LDAP, ...), if
> > someone is logged in then the password entered must match the password
> > of the user logged in.
>
> Do you really want it to serve the console screen at all?  It
> isn't necessary - you can let xinetd fire up new connections
> on demand to any number of different people at once.  The
> k12ltsp repackage of fedora has this set up by default.  I'm
> not sure if the configuration is a stand-alone RPM package
> that you can load on a stock fedora or not.  The users each
> get their own independent session.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com