Partial FC6 upgrade?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Nov 18 04:09:14 UTC 2006

At 8:53 PM -0500 11/17/06, Jim Cornette wrote:
>Tony Nelson wrote:
>> It appears that the problem was due to a (slightly) corrupt RPM
>> ...database
>I'm thinking the problem might be from the puplet interfering with
>ongoing transactions which is killing the rpm databases. This is a WAG
>so I really will have to disable the puplet applet and note if database
>corruption is ongoing or not present any longer.

I as well am slightly suspicious of puplet (and pirut), though they should
be using RPM and not be able to introduce such issues.  I'll just keep my
eyes on the database; I may add a nightly cron task to do this if I can be
sure of handling locking issues.

>... [I] was led to believe by supposition
>and mail traffic that running rpm -qaV with no errors would let you know
>if everything was intact within the database. This is however not true.
>The segfaulting entry which queried alright means the rpmdb is a bit
>more complex than just recording what packages are installed.

This command verifies the various RPM database files:

    []# ( cd /var/lib/rpm ; for name in `find . ! -name '__db*' -type f -print` ; do echo "$name" ; /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_verify "$name" ; done )