kwallet vs kmail, will somebody please shoot one of them?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 18 08:45:13 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 November 2006 03:02, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Saturday 18 November 2006 04:51, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I'm going batty (its not a long drive) because when I first installed
>> FC6 and ran kmail I didn't want to fool with kwallet at the time, so I
>> let kmail save the passwords, presumably in kmailrc.
>>
>> But now that I've had a chance to get caught up, I thought I'd see if
>> this kwallet thingy was usefull.  So I went into the control center
>> and reenabled it.  After it took the machine down 4 times in a row
>> trying to save the password, I got tired of that (I do learn fast in
>> that sort of a situation) and tried to tell it to forget it.  But now
>> kmail is coming up with a requestor for every message I send, asking
>> me to allow it to save the password in its own file.  If I click yes,
>> the mai, is sent, if I cancel, the mail is not sent.  And when I try
>> to resend it, the new requestor comes up asking for a password and if
>> I don't cat
>> my .fetchmailrc so I can copy/paste it, the mail isn't sent.
>>
>> I just shut it off again, and hopefully that will be the end of that,
>> but really, doesn't this utility thats such a PITA have a purpose
>> except crashing the whole darned box?
>
>Gene, there appears to be something very wrong with your install.  As
> others have said, kwallet works fine.  I've never had it cause any
> problem whatsoever.
>
>Anne

I think this may be related to similar problems I had with kde in general
when I installed FC2 way back when.  Then, just waving the mouse over a
printing function in the menu's would kill half of kde and x would have
to be restarted. I went so far as to build kde from scratch, installing
3.3.0 entirely in my root partition, and ran it till 2 weeks ago.  The
problem wasn't fixed, and it turned out to need a local build of a newer
version of cups that never did make it into FC2.  But that konstruct
built and installed kde just sat there and ran, and never, ever suffered
from any of the gripes folks were squawking about on this list at the
time.  The only thing that didn't work, ever, was the spell checker, and
now, with a fresh, from scratch FC6 install, it still isn't working.  Its
enabled according to the control center settings, but its not correcting
or otherwise indicating in any way that its running other than a ps -ea
says its process # 5410 right now.  It does work if I run it from the
tools pulldown, but I think I've seen it highlighting miss-spelled words
on other installs.

Anyway, it somewhat OT since kwallet=crashomatic is the subject.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)