RAID & HDD failure recovery

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Nov 18 16:11:29 UTC 2006

"Jiann-Ming Su" <sujiannming at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/17/06, David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > BTW, to anyone reaching for their flamethrower, I don't want to start a
>> > grub vs. lilo flame war so please don't.  If you have a *foolproof* and
>> > *native* (doesn't rely on external commands) way to get grub to support
>> > Linux software RAID, I'm more than willing to listen.  Hint, anything
>> > that includes an instruction like "use dd to copy the MBR..." is a
>> > non-starter.
>> >

> https://thane2.chbe.gatech.edu/wiki/index.php?title=Software_RAID

This is much better than what I have seen in the past.  Thanks.  Quick
explanation of the example: the RAID 1 array has /boot on /dev/md0 which
consists of /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdc1:

device (hd0) /dev/hdc
root (hd0,0)
install /grub/stage1 (hd0,0) /grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,0)/grub/menu.lst
install /grub/stage1 d (hd0) /grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,0)/grub/menu.lst

It's still not as easy as lilo and I have no idea how to modify the grub
incantations for a different configuration.  It would be nice if grub
detected that the boot device was part of a RAID array and handled this
for the user.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce