Yanking my own chain - Kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 freezes

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sat Nov 18 19:58:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Tony Nelson wrote:

> At 12:38 PM -0500 11/18/06, Max Pyziur wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Max Pyziur wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Installed the kernel on my desktop via yum.  When I rebooted the machine
>>> installed and couldn't get to the start of services.  Sorry, but I've got no
>>> log to show you.
>
>> I realize that it is uncool to not post error/log messages.
>>
>> I couldn't find any, but this is the last item left on the screen when the
>> boot freezes using *2849*.
>>
>> (From my scribbles)

>>   IO window: disabled.
>>   MEM window: f6000000-f8ffffff
>>  NET:  Registered protocol family 2
>>
>> Hope that helps.  And what should I do?
>
> Use the previous kernel:  When booting, press the Any key to get grub's
> attention, and press the down-arrow to select the previous kernel, and
> press Return to boot.

I've been w/ Fedora since FC1 so I understand this part; (I've passed FC
101; I'm on to FC 102)
;-)

I try to stay current w/ the latest updates and was concerned that this
kernel (*2849*) wouldn't come up.  I just recently upgraded to FC6 from
FC5 and am trying to unwind all of the dependency/plugin issues (I suppose
you know how that is - make sure java is installed correctly and the apps
run; make sure flash and the Acrobat plugin are working in the web
browsers - firefox, galeon, etc.).

> --
> TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
>      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>