Spam problem solved

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 19 15:58:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 16:57 +0200, Alan Lake wrote:

> Those who've been doing any amount of reading about the scourges of the
> Internet: spam, viruses, worms, spyware, etc. have noted that they are
> all hosted and spread on and by the products of one operating system
> manufacturer.  That manufacturer's products are all closed source, which
> means that only that one company can change its products to stop these
> scourges.

A bit too simplisitic.  While much of it is spewed forth by Windows
boxes, the other HALF of the problem is the SMTP servers between the
compromised boxes and the hapless recipients.  Those servers are not all
Windows-based.  That side of the problem is part technical, and part
human (stupid configuration, and lack of will to do the job properly).

> I believe that the laws of the United States that enable this company to
> prosper, can also be used to protect those who are damaged because of
> this company's irresponsible behavior.  I imagine that the EULA of this
> company has a clause or clauses in it that indemnifies it from any
> damages caused by the design of its OS.  Such clauses should not be
> allowed to stand so that any company is able to make money while doing
> things that cost others money, time or whatever.

There's a lot of sense in making computer companies responsible for the
damage they create.  While some may say that it's not fair, I'll say
rubbish.  We don't excuse small companies from making electrical
appliances that are faulty, just because they're small.  They've got a
choice of do it right, or do something else.  There is no reason why
computer companies shouldn't be just as liable for their products as any
other type of company.

Anyway, current experience shows that Linux and its ilk have managed to
do a better job, so they have far less to worry about than Microsoft.

> I did not mention the company I have in mind by name

I did, because we all know what you're talking about.  Pretending you're
being fairer by not saying so doesn't convince me.

I read messages from the public lists.