Enabling telnet

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 19 18:59:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 02:18 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > FC-5 is nearing EOL now (January ?), perhaps you should start testing
> > FC-6
>
> Looking at the mailing list, FC6 seems far from ready.  My own
> experimenting with FC4 showed that it wasn't until about half way
> through its life that it became good.  Observing a friend using FC5 for
> some time before I started using it indicated to me that more time was
> needed before FC5 became a sensible idea, and FC5 is still in a
> shambles.
>
> I run several boxes, here.  The server still runs FC4, because my
> experimenting with using FC5 on another box shows that it's not
> practical to change over.  If it's not practical to move to FC5, even
> after all this time, I seriously doubt that FC6 is going to be an
> improvement this close to its initial release.
>
> The time between release is too short.  The main bugs just get ironed
> out before the end-of-life, then the baby gets thrown out with the
> bathwater with the next release.  It's radically different, the mistakes
> that were made have not been learnt.  Fedora keeps re-inventing the
> wheel.
----
It wouldn't appear that Fedora is the distro you want (from the above
description).

Myself, I use CentOS 4 (RHEL clone) for my home server. Stable, older,
tested versions with a long support/release cycle.

I use Fedora on my desktop system(s) where I want the later versions of
things such as OOo.

As for your impressions about whether FC-5 or FC-6 is ready, I am quite
certain that both are ready, reasonably stable and reasonably bug free
but it's your system(s). Your assertion that FC-5 is still in shambles
will undoubtedly come as a great surprise to those who use it day in and
day out. I happen to use FC-5 daily and am quite satisfied with its
stability...and thus, simply don't agree.

Craig