upgrading to Fc6

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 04:51:14 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 14:10 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 9:08 AM -0600 11/19/06, Scott Berry wrote:
> >>
> >> 2. You could download and install fedora-release-6-4.noarch.rpm
> >> (this updates /etc/fedora-release)
> >> and then say "yum update" (as root).
> >> After several hours you should have an FC-6 system.
> >Tim, where is this file found I did a search with no luck.>
>
> Not to be cruel, but rather to save you from months of intense difficulty
> and frustration:  if you can't find that file, you really should not try to
> upgrade via yum, as you are not prepared to handle the dozens or hundreds
> of issues you will face.  Download the DVD or CDs and use them.  If you
> aren't able to burn CDs or DVDs, purchase them over the 'net.

No kidding Tony.. God help you if that is a task to ask the list. I
worked at RedHat in 1999 and I won't attempt a network yum distro
upgrade again. It can become a week-long complete waste of time and
energy and I exhausted my considerable repertoire of curse words
entirely several times ... but, on the other-hand  it can become a
learning experience of sh*t you never knew existed. One little digital
blip or burp can wreck everything. Several hours to update to FC6 via
yum? On a T1 probably. <evil cackles> But, if you like to walk on the
wild side, go for it. My money says you'll regret it. Ric