backing up with dd fails

Kevin Kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Mon Nov 20 14:02:51 UTC 2006

Hi list;

I've recently returned to Fedora from SuSE. With SuSE I would always backup my
main laptop hard drive to a second drive via dd as follows:
1) boot into single user mode (init 1)
2) run dd if=/dev/SRC of=/dev/TARGET conv=noerror,sync bs=4k    #where SRC =
my current OS drive and TARGET = the backup drive

I tried this yesterday with my new FC6 install. It from about 7:30pm until
7:00am and I saw a message on the screen, something like this:

Firmware error detected, ipw2200, restarting

Any thoughts? I suspect 12 hours is way too slow for a dd of a 100G drive.
With SuSE it took about 3 hours (not that I would ever consider returning to
the new M$ SuSE)

Thanks in advance