logrotate failure

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Nov 20 15:52:17 UTC 2006

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 07:36 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> > Greetings;
>> >
>> > Two weeks now since I installed FC6, and still no logrotation is being
>> > done.
>> >
>> > Stepping into /etc/logrotate.d, and doing an sh ./syslog results in this:
>> >
>> > [root at coyote logrotate.d]# sh ./syslog
>> > ./syslog: line 1: /var/log/messages: Permission denied
>> > ./syslog: line 2: sharedscripts: command not found
>> > ./syslog: line 3: postrotate: command not found
>> > ./syslog: line 5: endscript: command not found
>> > ./syslog: line 6: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
>> > ./syslog: line 6: `}'
>>
> ----
> not that I wish to follow in your footsteps but if it's any consolation,
> that occurs when I do that on my system too. But I am not going to spend
> any time trying to figure out why.
It happened because it's supposed to happen.  The files in
/etc/logrotate.d aren't executable.  They're configuration files for
each of the logs that logrotate acts on.

If you want to try running logrotate, your best bet would probably be to
run the file in /etc/cron.daily:

# cat /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf
EXITVALUE=$?
if [ $EXITVALUE != 0 ]; then
    /usr/bin/logger -t logrotate "ALERT exited abnormally with [$EXITVALUE]"
fi
exit 0

but verify the rpms first.

Cheers,