FC5 S/W Raid Rebuilding to Infiinity(and beyond!)

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Mon Nov 20 15:56:03 UTC 2006

I had a disk failure recently and replaced the drive.  After
partitioning and such I added my new drive into my Raid 1 and waited for
the rebuild to complete.

It's been running for about 36 hours trying to rebuild a ~140GB Raid 1,
which seems a bit long to me.

What's even stranger, is a reboot causes the new disk to be complete
removed from the Raid 1 set.  And I have to rebuild all of my
partitions, not just the ~140GB.

Here is 'cat /proc/mdstat' as it currently sits:

----
[sean at home-desk ~]$ cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sdb1[0] sda1[1]
      1052160 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sdb2[0] sda2[1]
      4192896 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 sdb3[2] sda3[1]
      151043008 blocks [2/1] [_U]
      [==>..................]  recovery = 10.5% (15941760/151043008)
finish=52.3min speed=42986K/sec

unused devices: <none>
----

Where md0 is /boot, md1 is swap and md2 is /

sdb is the new disk, sda is the running disk.  If I reboot the machine
sdb disappears completely.

Any ideas out there?

Sean