Unable to install bind-chroot on FC6

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Mon Nov 20 18:53:02 UTC 2006

Mike Cohler wrote:
> Steven Stromer <filter <at> stevenstromer.com> writes:
>
>> Sorry to hijack, but I am experiencing the same problem. I have been
>> installing FC6 on a bunch of servers, and did not elect to install BIND
>> during the initial install. I installed bind-9.3.3rc3 (which appears to
>> force the install of bind-chroot, without saying it will do so, though I
>> do want the package...) and bind-libs. The service and directories seem
>> to get installed and created, but none of the default configuration or
>> zone files get installed. I've tried uninstalling, removing the
>> directories, and reinstalling, and still the same result. Without
>> named.conf, the service can not start. Installing caching-nameserver
>> creates a caching-nameserver conf file and appropriate zone files, but I
>> am trying to set up an authoritative name server. I could manually
>> create all of the basic zones, etc. but this seems a bit more work than
>> should be called for. I have configured DNS numerous times before on
>> previous FC versions, so this isn't my first attempt at this process,
>> but we all forget a step here or there over time  Am I missing
>> something here? Mark, have you found a solution?
>
> Hi
>
> I had the same problem.  I found that if I ran system-config-bind and let the
> gui open - it will not find the right files - and will create an initial set. At
> that point I close the gui and now named.conf has been created. If you then edit
> named.conf to your needs and run:
> service named restart
> Then it will work (though it cannot stop named and I think service named start
> might not work, though re-start does.
>
> Also I found it is then better to yum remove caching-nameserver once bind
> is running to avoid conflicts.
>
> HTH

This worked very well. Thanks HTH! I would recommend for any others
experiencing this problem to:

1. Install:
bind
bind-libs
bind-utils
system-config-bind

2. Run system-config-bind, and exit without creating any settings, which
successfully creates the standard conf and zone files.

3. Install bind-chroot, which successfully creates the chroot
directories, and all of the proper links.

I hope that the creation of default conf and zone files returns to a
more automated process. This once was so much simpler!