Can't access /home dir after FC5 updates

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Nov 20 20:06:36 UTC 2006

Personally I'm quite happy to be using FC2 most of the time, but after updates
for FC5 I can no longer access my home directory. Double click on it, a
couple of mouse pointer bounces, and then it craps out. Nothing. Zilch.

Incidentally Konqueror behaves in the same way, but I can open Konsole, And
Kmail with no problems.

I had this situation last night, then rebooted this FC5 install, and then the
home directory opened, but today, no such luck.

Apart from this KDE seems to be working ok. I can watch TV on it, Gftp opens
ok, and the Superuser filemanager works ok. It appears to be a problem with
accessing the "home" directory, and "konqueror".

There is a ....sycoca command, but can't remember the syntax, or whether it
will fix this problem. Anyone one give me the full command for KDE? It may
work or not work, and there are menu items that were there before, and now
missing. SELinux is not enabled.

Personally I use FC2 on both machines, even though they are no longer
supported from Fedora Legacy. Apart from them being slow to boot, there are
no problems. Even FC1 still works ok, but I can't say the same for FC3, and
FC5.

I'm not trying to start any flames here, but from my personal viewpoint FC is
getting worse, rather than better.

All I want at the moment is to get access to my home directory on FC5, which
was accessable before the last lot of updates.

Nigel.