upgrading to Fc6

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Mon Nov 20 22:06:57 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:

> No kidding Tony.. God help you if that is a task to ask the list. I
> worked at RedHat in 1999 and I won't attempt a network yum distro
> upgrade again. It can become a week-long complete waste of time and
> energy and I exhausted my considerable repertoire of curse words
> entirely several times ... but, on the other-hand  it can become a
> learning experience of sh*t you never knew existed. One little digital
> blip or burp can wreck everything. Several hours to update to FC6 via
> yum? On a T1 probably. <evil cackles> But, if you like to walk on the
> wild side, go for it. My money says you'll regret it. Ric

Maybe I'm just lucky, I dunno but seriously I've never had a problem
upgrading from one release to the next via yum. For me it just work's
whether it's been i386, x86_64 or ppc. Conversley I've had problems when
upgrading via CD/DVD, one example was when upgrading from FC4 to FC5 on
my mac laptop. It went through the procedure, upgraded firefox (the only
rpm it upgraded!) and said the upgrade was complete. Yeah right I
thought, rebooted to find the same FC4 install, only with a slightly
newer firefox. Yum worked flawlessly.

--
Ian Chapman.