logrotate failure

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 20 22:48:08 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 14:58, David G. Miller wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> And they both do.  When I ran it like Rick recommended,
>> (logrotate -vf ./logrotate.conf) from the logrotate.d directory, then
>> the real error popped out, and that was because there wasn't a user
>> 'named' because bind wasn't installed.  It is now and although bind
>> isn't configured or running, logrorate, at least from the cli, now
>> works.  I even copied my old version of the logrotate.d/syslog from
>> FC2 because it has all my additions in it, and it now Just Works(TM)
>> from the cli at any rate.
>>
>> To me thats a packageing error, there shouldn't be a file in
>> logrotate.d for named UNTIL bind has been installed.
>>
>> I guess most folks weren't bit because they do install bind.  I
>> generally use host files here.
>
>Gene, by any chance was this box upgraded from a previous release?  I
>don't have a named user on my box that got a clean install of FC6:

Nope, fresh install on a different drive.  The old drive is now mounted as
hdb.

># cat /etc/passwd | grep named
>
>nor do I have bind installed:
>
># rpm -qa | grep bind
>bind-libs-9.3.3-6.fc6
>ypbind-1.19-5
>bind-utils-9.3.3-6.fc6

Mmm, one of those (I also installed them except for ypbind, at the same
time) must be the one that appends the user 'named' to the pw file.

>and logrotate works just fine.
>
>You might want to check to see if you still have a bind logrotate file
>in /etc/logrotate.d.  It makes sure the rotated logs still have
>named:named as the owner and group which would cause the problem your
>seeing.  The files in logrotate.d are placed there by each application
>that wants to have its logs rotated.  All logrotate does is run the
>files.  It's possible an upgrade that removed bind didn't remove
>/etc/logrotate.d/named.

I repeat, no upgrade, fresh install.  But I repeat myself... :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)