FC6: Modem not installed but shows up in Hardware

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 23:14:52 UTC 2006

--- Dietmar Steiner <dietmar.steiner at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to Linux and have a fresh install done of
> FC6.
>
> My modem a Intel 536EP is recognized as a PCI device
> it shows up in
> System->Administration->Hardware, but does not show
> up as a dialup modem.
>  From an earlier post I found out the following
> information:
>
> kudzu -sp
>
> class: MODEM
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> desc: "Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem"
> vendorId: 8086
> deviceId: 1040
> subVendorId: 8086
> subDeviceId: 1000
> pciType: 1
> pcidom:    0
> pcibus:  0
> pcidev:  a
> pcifn:  0
>
> lspci
>
> 00:0a.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation
> 536EP Data Fax Modem
>
> If the modem is not supported is there an RPM
> available, who makes it
> possible for a beginner to install.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dietmar

Ok get the latest package from here.

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/intel/Philippe.Vouters/

which is

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/intel/Philippe.Vouters/intel-537EP_secure-2.60.80.1_21_09_2006.tgz

Download it and extract it with
$ tar -zxvf
intel-537EP_secure-2.60.80.1_21_09_2006.tgz
$ cd intel-536EP....

Carefully Read the README files and proceed to install
the modem drivers.  Should you get stuck, send a mail
to me, or discuss at linmodems.org for more help.

You will need to have Development tools installed in
order to compile.  If you ask questions about your
modem to discuss at linmodems.org, you will be asked to
send the output of scanModem which you are able to
find here

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz
Download scanModem.gz

# gunzip scanModem.gz