Today's FC6 Update fails -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Nov 21 00:43:22 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 15:13 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> It looks like you are using the kde-redhat repo but don't have their key
>>> installed.  Go to kde-redhat.sourceforge.net and follow the instructions.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, it may be that the package is not properly signed.  In the
>>> past, the error message was, IIRC, briefer and misleading.
>>>

>> Ok, I might be able to fix this if I knew what the file name was
>> supposed to be?
>>
>>             /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-kde-redhat
>>
>> I put the gpg key in that [my best guess at a name] but I still get an
>> error.  Not
>> only that but I have never needed to insert keys with a text editor to
>> make yum updates
>> work!  I have something messed up somewhere.  I've been updating this
>> computer for a
>> week and suddenly this?
>>

> download the file you find here
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65974&package_id=72321&release_id=136335
>    named gpg.rexdieter-kde-redhat.key
>
> then you can import it into rpm with the command
>     rpm --import <path/to/gpg.rexdieter-kde-redhat.key>
>
> After that yum should work to install files from the kde-redhat project.

    Ok, did that.

    Then I spent the last four or five hours messing with yum updates
    and wringing out problems as best I could.

    I did yum clean all and then was able to update kdebase which was
    producing an error message.

    I then had to yum remove spamassassin and exclude=perl* which
    permitted yum update to do most of what was required to update the
    system.

    Obviously something is broke, I still don't know what, I am still
    working around problems.  I believe the trouble was the result of my
    having killed yumex when it got off on some tangent and virtually
    paralyzed this old computer.  Apparently my impatience resulted in
    corruption of some files.

    I suspect that I will have to remove and re-install yum to restore
    things.  It wants some gpg keys but the error messages are useless
    in determining which key it requires since it never tells what repo
    has failed.

    Yum run from the command line is a neat tool as long as it works.

    Bob Goodwin