logrotate failure

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Nov 21 02:35:12 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 20:17, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>[root at fraud logrotate.d]# rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/logrotate.d/named
>>>bind-9.2.4-16.EL4
>>
>> And just in case rpm exits on the first answer as opposed to all
>> answers, what would it say on a system without bind?  An intrigueing
>> question that..
>
>It should say this:
>
>$ rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/logrotate.d/named
>error: file /etc/logrotate.d/named: No such file or directory
>
>If the file /etc/logrotate.d/named does exist and was created
>manually, it would look more like this:
>
>$ sudo touch /etc/logrotate.d/named
>$ rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/logrotate.d/named
>file /etc/logrotate.d/named is not owned by any package

Ok, I've removed bind again wlthough bind-chroot threw an error back to
rpm.  Then I removed /etc/sysconfig/named* and /etc/logrotate.d/named*.

The I re-ran logrotate -vf /etc/logrotate.conf, and everything worked
except the SIGHUP to fetchmail, which is still using the
original /var/log/fetchmail.log.2 for its active logging file.

That code, and I've done it also from htop and failed, looks like this:
>From my modified /etc/logrotate.d/syslog that worked fine in FC2:
==========
/var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/boot.log /var/log/cron /var/log/heyu.log /var/log/ntp.log /var/log/fetchmail.log /var/log/procmail.log
{
    sharedscripts
    postrotate
	/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
true
	/bin/kill -HUP `cat /home/gene/.fetchmail.pid 2> /dev/null`
2> /dev/null || true
    endscript
}
=============
scuse the kmail word-wrap, those 2 kill lines are actually one long line.

And this is odder than a black and white calico cat:
[root at coyote etc]# cat /home/gene/.fetchmail.pid
5515
90
htop says its 5515.  Where the sam hell is the 90 coming from?

I totally killed fetchmail, which killed that pid file, then restarted it,
but while the pid is changed, the 90 is still there? WTF?  Is this some
more BS from selinux?  And if so, can I use 'head' to get just the first
line?  Or should I just "/usr/bin/killall fetchmail" it outright and
restart it, which did fix the logfile its using when I did it by hand.  I
chose that path for the time being.  And that fails in the script.  Ahh,
syntax error, fixed.  I forgot to take out the second backtick.

So I'll do this until someone explains this one satisfactorily.

Also, what is this "TUX Worker 0" I have about 65 copies of sleeping?
This thing had better have a good reason to be using 66 consecutive PID's
in the 32k range.  Amazing what you find when prowling around in a new
system...

Thanks Todd.  I'm a bit smarter than I was before I read this, and fixed
yet another minor problem with the logs thanks to your input.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)