FC 6 issues

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Nov 21 04:04:44 UTC 2006

Usman S. Ansari wrote:
> Tried to install FC 6 on my dual CPU Pentium III machine.
>
> 1. First it failed to discover my Dell FP 2001 monitor and G 400 video
> card and assume head less install.

There may be two different things that you can do. The first is to boot
with 'linux xdriver=mga' if video detection is the only problem. I have
a G200 and some with the G400 also had problems with installations prior
to FC6 with out of range. As far as I know the problem was fixed for the
G400 as it was for the G200. I don't recall. The second choice is to
install with 'linux xdriver=vesa' though the entry will also be in the
xorg.conf of the installed system. Before the fix, that is what we would
have had to resort to using. After the install, you could take care of
the issue.
Regarding the kernel, it comes in the smp version only now and is the
kernel. It is supposed to fall back to uniprocessor mode for non-smp
computers. I don't know of any options to the kernel to force it to
behave in non-smp mode. There might be options out there somewhere.

> 2. And may be due to above it install Linux under XEN ? anyway upon
> booting, last thing it said was diabling XEN buffers and after that my
> machine froos

You might have to use rescue mode in order to install the kernel instead
of the xen version of the kernel.

> There is only one kernel installed on the system. Last time, during FC 5
> install, it failed to discover some of the hardware on my system. I
> ended up solving this issue using non-SMP and enabling firstboot.

If you cannot find options to make the kernel non-smp you may have to
find one compiled with that option off or use an FC5 kernel version from
somewhere. do not take this as athoratative though, I just install the
stuff. :-)

> Any pointers who I can recover from this situation.

I hope you get the system to install successfully.

Jim

--
Lavish spending can be disastrous.  Don't buy any lavishes for a while.