FC6 - updating packages from local rpm repository

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Nov 21 12:00:57 UTC 2006

thomas wrote:
> I have  dumped FC6 DVD in /var/fc6 directory. All the rpms are in
> /var/fc6/Fedora/rpms.
>
> Initially I did partial installation. Now I want to install few rpm
> from /var/fc6/Fedora/rpms directory in GUI mode.

It is a pretty complicated process to install from local repositories
that you add. You need to create or edit files, run programs like
'createrepo /var/fc6/Fedora/rpms' and disable all Internet bound
repositories.
You need to create a local.repo file and put it in the /etc/yum.repos.d/
directory. In that .repo file you have to put
baseurl=file:///var/fc6/Fedora/rpms in that file.

These programs should be designed smart enough to find the DVD and path
for local installs, disable Internet bound repositories and the like for
users to be able to install locally using the GUI. Hopefully this will
be improved for FC7 or added to FC6.

Anyway, the other reply with the link to the website should help  you
out more.

Jim

--
Support staff hung over, send aspirin and come back LATER.