Hard Drive Error Disk or Motherboard?

Paul Ward pnward at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:41:05 UTC 2006

Thanks guys for the in depth knowledge of ide drives, I had no idea it
made that much difference myself but then I guess that is why I am
having problems.

To throw some more information on the fault, as I said I ended up
using my spare test drive with FC6, this has been a trooper and allows
me to keep working.

I decided to plug the troublesome drive into IDE1 as master, no other
drives were connected and I had the same issues thus I thought proving
the drive was playing up, but then I had the Idea of adding it as a
master of IDE2 and using the test drive as the master IDE1, everything
seems fine, I can mount the troublesome drive and see the data, I can
even read and write to it???? Does this mean my IDE1 controller is at
fault?? if so I guess it must be related to the chipsset / drive make?