Can't access /home dir after FC5 updates

Mauriat Miranda mirandam at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 19:07:38 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> As Craig said, the updated software needs vastly different configs.
> The content of ~/.gnome, ~/.gconf, ~/.gconfd, ~/.gnome2, and ~/.kde
> control what you see when you log in and how it behaves.
>
> Those config files are not the same for FC2 and FC5 so using the
> same /home for both distros can cause problems.
>
> When I upgraded to FC5 from FC4 (using the same /home) I had to follow
> the steps he identifies and remove the old configuration files before I
> could get the screen to behave properly.

I went from FC4 to FC5 to FC6 using the same /home and I never ran
into any problems. In fact, I also did the same from FC1 to 2 to 3 to
4 (with some tweaking). My desktop, all my Gnome settings and other
app settings were preserved (don't use KDE but they were also well
preserved). In fact from 5 to 6, I even skipped backing up my /home
partition, which I always do.

I am NOT saying this must work for everyone, but I AM saying it does
not fail for everyone.

-Mauriat