Hard Drive Error Disk or Motherboard?

Alan alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Nov 21 23:02:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:26:07 +0000
"Paul Ward" <pnward at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The /dev/hdc disk is the one that I was having trouble with however I
> am getting errors on another disk I was using for backing up the data
> from the faulty drive to.

If you have a drive fail on a cable it can block access to the other
drive on the cable.

> Should I use fsck or testdisk? Also what syntax would provide best
> results, or are there any better utils?

With that disk file systems unmounted force an fsck. That will check all
the metadata and should tell you if there are problems. Also take a look
at the smart tools - they can tell you if a drive thinks it has a
problem.

Alan