Fedora Coverstory in Linux Format

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 22 05:38:02 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> I wouldn't have thought it necessary.  5 Cd's should fit onto a
>> single layer DVD.

George Arseneault:
> Necessary or not, it wouldn't work in my DVD drive.
> (It's about 8 years old though)  My friend said it was
> probably because the disk was dual-layered, since his
> drive could read it and his wife's could not. (a
> slightly newer but still not dual-layer drive)

Were they guessing, or had they checked?  It'd be easy enough to check.
The only reason I could see for them using dual layer, where it wasn't
needed, would be getting a good deal on the pricing.

For what it's worth, all DVD players (including computer ones) can read
dual-layer.  It's been in the specs since the beginning, and required of
them.  That's not to say that some particular discs could be
sub-standard, and don't work well in some drives.

It's just that, until recently, most burners couldn't write to
dual-layer discs.  That's something quite different than reading them.

I read messages from the public lists.