Metrics and your privacy

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 10:03:11 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> So we're looking for better ways to find out exactly who is out there
> and what Fedora is being used for.  I've been compiling thoughts and
> ideas on a metrics site.  Please take a look and comment.  What are
> you, the community, most comfortable with?  Where's the line where
> you'd check the check box to not participate?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Metrics
>
>            -Mike

I suggest  an Python app with the following attributes:

1) runs once then offers to remove itself
2) has a TUI and GUI interface
3) non mandatory, would simply show up on the desktops of users till used
4) multi-level  - ie. allowing busier users to just allow their
install to be counted or go as far as filling multiple points of
detail
5) Allows (gives the option) for viewing of the actual data that will
be sent to RedHat and only RedHat's servers
6) Pointed to, but not ran on first boot

I think this should account for most of the issues people have had
with the collection of metrics. From their it will be up to the
statisticians to make sense of it all.

Peace
Arthur

--