Metrics and your privacy

AragonX aragonx at dcsnow.com
Wed Nov 22 15:06:44 UTC 2006

<quote who="Andy Green">
> AragonX wrote:
>
>> Why not ask at the end of the install of Fedora if it can 'phone home'
>> give statistical information?  I think if you put in a questionare that
>
> If there is a gratuitous connection action for statistic-collecting
> purposes, it would be best to ask.  But then you lose some information
> from the people who for whatever reason said no.

I did say ask.  You have to ask and there is no way at all to get a 100%
count.  It is not possible.

>   1. Machines that never update at all even once
>
> Making a new machine check for updates at least once as soon as it saw
> the network was up would be a friendly and non-privacy threatening
> action that would solve this...

Ill conceived idea.  There are a good number of reasons why I don't want
some of my machines to get updated.  It would be annoying to have to write
some rules to block this traffic.  Forced updates...

believed to be clean.