Pirut

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Wed Nov 22 18:06:32 UTC 2006

ulrich wrote:
> I untagged all openoffice-files before starting an update by Pirut.
> What happend: Pirut installed Openoffice  and killed certain openoffice
> files in my /opt branch. Even worse, Pirut installed Openoffice in a
> different language.

What *were* you updating? You should be able to get this information out
of /var/log/yum.log. If it was something that depended on a particular
version of OpenOffice, then yes, Pirut should have upgraded them to give
you a consistent system.

As for the /opt branch, do you mean it *removed* the files, or it stopped
them working? Were they installed from an RPM or from a tarball /
installer?

Given that Pirut was updating OpenOffice, if your /opt version was an RPM
then the Fedora version almost certainly looked like an update to your
/opt version, and it would remove it. That would be considered a
packaging conflict.

If the OpenOffice in /opt came from a tarball or installer, then the
Fedora OO.o RPMs shouldn't be touching /opt.

If the new Fedora RPMs stopped your version of OpenOffice.org from
working, that may be due to how you included the /opt subdirectories in
your PATH variable -- the /opt OpenOffice was finding Fedora versions of
files before it found /opt versions.

In any case, we'll need clarity as to precisely what was happening before
we can tell whether it was a bug or the program working a way you didn't
expect.

I can't see how Pirut could be expected to know which language packs you
use in software it doesn't know about...

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those
aprilcottage.co.uk | of my employer, are not necessarily mine, and in fact are