ClamAV madness

Jon 780 jon780 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 21:22:22 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:20:49AM -0600, Jon 780 wrote:
> > Just a small gripe, unless I'm missing something.
> > "yum info clamav" states
> > "...The package provides a flexible and scalable multi-threaded
> > daemon, a command
> > line scanner, and a tool for automatic updating via Internet. ..."
> > But, it doesn't contain clamd.  That's separated out into the
> > clamav-server package.
>
> I dunno if that'd be properly described as "madness" -- maybe "a little bit
> unclear". The word "package" in that description is referring to the ClamAV
> program as a whole (the "software package"), not to the specific RPM
> pacakge.

"Unclear" I think is a little forgiving.  I'd be willing to settle on
"confusingly ambigious", whadda ya say?

> That's more clear if you notice that it's lifted verbatim from
> <http://www.clamav.net/abstract.html#pagestart>. RPM packagers often do
> this, so that the upstream people get to describe their own package in their
> own words, and because it's easier than writing your own description.

Makes perfect sense.  Until you think about it. :)

> File this in bugzilla and mark it as trivial and it'll get fixed eventually.

Oh goody, that'll be resolved sometime after the next Ice Age :)

Like I said, just a small gripe, not even worth wasting my time or
their's in filing a Bugzilla.